Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Schiavo autopsy report out Updated (And Again) [And yet again]

Just a quick note before I head into yet another meeting. I just got a chance to watch some of the Schiavo autopsy report. The doctor giving the findings was extremely clear about it and careful to set the boundaries of the report. More details to follow when I get out of the meeting.

Bottom line: Schiavo's brain was horrendously damaged and she was blind. There is no evidence whatsoever that she was abused in any way. More to come later.

Update: Here's a link to the story with more details. The PDF for the autopsy report is here, in case you'd like to read it yourself.

For myself, I must say that the report shows some things rather definitively. Terri Schiavo was not, in spite of anecdotes to the contrary, present in that damaged body. Her brain had massive damage throughout, completely destroying the optic processing centers of the brain. She had severe damage to the occipital lobes. The brain itself was approximately half the expected mass. These are conditions that were permanent and would never have changed regardless of the medial or theraputic regimen she was given. I find it impossible to conceive the notion that this woman was in any way truly conscious.

The situation was tragic. More tragic is that we simply don't know what caused the oxygen starvation to the brain that caused the damage. We do know that she was not strangled in any way nor was she abused during her treatment. Aside from that, we can draw no conclusions about the event that put her in the state she was in. I hope this will lay the matter to rest.

Update 2: I wasn't going to say anything about this, and I'm very sorry if I'm offending anyone, but I'm a bit offended myself. The autopsy came out around 11:30 EDT this morning. I know that bloggers can write about whatever they want to and ignore what they like - that's their call. But when bloggers post up a swarm on a topic and swear to get all kinds of medieval on someone after the proof comes out that they (the bloggers) were right, I think it's only fair and ethical to post on the topic when the proof comes out that they were wrong and say so. I respect Michelle Malkin a great deal. She, among others, wrote passionately that Terry Schiavo was likely conscious and cast all kinds of doubt on the claims that her brain trauma was that hugely severe. Those that wrote such were very denigrating of Mike Schiavo's decisions. The autopsy shows he was right. It would be the right thing to do to say so, but I don't see this story posted on any of the major center-right blogs. Come on, folks. Ignoring a story that doesn't conform to a specific message when you've been previously very willing to post on it is an MSM trick, unworthy of your talents.

Update 3: So I finally ran into one. Bill at INDC Journal marks a footnote and, I believe, sets the right tone. Thanks, Bill.