Thursday, October 27, 2005

Miers withdraws from nomination

Quick hit here: I note that Harriet Miers has withdrawn her name from the Supreme Court nomination. I'm sure that's going to make lots of my conservative bretheren both happy and unhappy. Hugh Hewitt will be one of those unhappy souls and will likely start making comments that those of us who weren't happy with the nomination have damaged the conservative movement. I respect his opinion but I cannot agree with his sentiment.

Bottom line: it's over and done and I would like to see the President nominate someone with some experience for this highest of court offices. I would like that individual to have a record of supporting the concept that the Supreme Court makes its rulings on the basis of the Constitution - not from other nation's legal rulings. I'd like to see someone on the bench who's appalled by the Kelo decision and thinks that state-funded institutions shouldn't be allowed to discriminate by race. I don't know who that might be, yet, but I'm watching this with interest.