Saturday, October 15, 2005

"Staged" event? Not to the participants.

Via LGF, I found Sergeant Ron Long, a US Army combat medic. Sgt. Long was one of the soldiers asked to appear on a vidconference with the President a few nights ago, an event that the media - including normally stable Fox News - went hog wild over claiming it was a "staged" event. For proof, they displayed video taken with the full knowledge of the participants, showing them practicing handing the microphone from man to man and deciding who would field what questions.

I'm a network engineer by trade, not a soldier. I have, however, participated in countless conferences and meetings in which my fellow participants decided well in advance who would answer what kinds of questions. I have certains fields of expertise and am qualified as an expert to speak on. So if I'm in a meeting and a question in one of those fields gets asked, I'm the one my co-workers look to to respond. If it's a question on a subject better known by one of my colleagues, then I look to them. There's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary about that and the media just got stuck on stupid over it.

But don't take my word on the President's call. Listen to one of the soldiers who was there:

::::::::First of all, we were told that we would be speaking with the President of the United States, our Commander-in-Chief, President Bush, so I believe that it would have been totally irresponsible for us NOT to prepare some ideas, facts or comments that we wanted to share with the President.
We were given an idea as to what topics he may discuss with us, but it's the President of the United States; He will choose which way his conversation with us may go.
We practiced passing the microphone around to one another, so we wouldn't choke someone on live TV. We had an idea as to who we thought should answer what types of questions, unless President Bush called on one of us specifically.
::::::::

Emphasis all his. Plainly, simply, our media is primed to pounce on a "gotcha" moment and that predisposition is giving them hallucinations. Is it any wonder the American people don't trust them?