Thursday, November 17, 2005

Oh, the weather outside...

Monday morning I stepped outside to get a sense of the weather since I was deciding not only what coat to take with me to the office but what clothes to lay out for my kid for daycare. It was actually a bit muggy out there at 0700. (That's 7:00 am for you non-[para]military types.) The temperature was about 74° F so it wasn't hot but it wasn't chilly by any stretch. November 14 and it was "golf-shirt and no coat" weather.

Then the front came through here last night and it rained like crazy. This morning's temperature at 0700? 41°. Three days past and 30 degrees gone. Today's high temperature is supposed to be 46° with a low tonite projected at 25-26° out here in suburbia. There are actually bets that the DC area will see snowfall this year before Thanksgiving. The mere talk of such a bet resulted in a run on bread, milk, and toilet paper at the local grocery store.

OK, that last line was... an exaggeration. OK, it was fake - but accurate! I've lived out here for 18 years now (and I'm suddenly feeling damned old for saying that) and I can honestly say I'm still amused/amazed/mildly disgusted at the reaction of people around here to snowfall of any amount at all. They start talking on the radio about how there might be snowfall the day after tomorrow and the supplies of milk start flying off the shelves. People stock up around here like they're going to be buried up to the rafters in their houses from December to April. They act like there won't be any more food delivered to the stores until the icebreakers come in and chisel out a passage to the store. We haven't seen that level yet, but my money's on seeing it before Pearl Harbor day.

The only thing that will put a smile on my face when the snow starts coming down is watching all those proud owners of humongous SUV's sliding all over creation trying to drive while I, in my new Toyota Matrix, go slowly by in total control. I learned to drive on snow and ice from one of the best, so go ahead. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...