Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving wishes

To my fellow Americans, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. We have much to be thankful for.

My wife and I planned our trip to Grandma's house a bit over 2 months ago. Aside from putting in for the vacation time to extend the weekend off a bit, we didn't need to ask anyone's permission nor did we have to notify anyone of our travel plans. We got in the car yesterday, gassed up, and hit the road completely uncontrolled by anyone save our particular desires as to speed and direction. We passed by numerous police cars on the way and hardly noticed them at all.

No government agents stopped us to check our papers. No borders between our states halted our travel. No one questioned our purchases or confiscated our property. The fact that these issues never even crossed our minds shows us the nature of the country we live in: a free one. We are thankful for that.

My wife and I have jobs that pay pretty well. So well, in fact, that the travel out here was a concern only in the matter of how long it would take and how bad the traffic would be. We never worried about having enough gas or food or that taking the time off work would make it hard to pay the mortgage. The money we'd spend on this trip wasn't the issue in making decisions for the trip. We are thankful for that.

My wife comes from a loving home with parents who remain loving to this day. My own parents were the same, and my mother remains so today. We are thankful for that. The holidays remind me of my father, now departed almost 3 years. I miss him, but he gave me the tools necessary to be a good man. Thankful, indeed...

I am writing the last latter I'll send to a friend in Iraq before he comes home. He's an MP there and has pulled over 10 months of convoy protection duty. His unit, I've heard, has the highest number of purple hearts per capita of any MP unit over there and he has told me of some grisly situations he's had to endure. I worry about him quite a bit. I am thankful for his safety so far, but I am more thankful for his service. He's got 17 years in the Army and that's a long, long time for someone to serve. He's voluntarily handed his fellow citizens some of the best years of his life and he has stood between many, many sharp knives in the darkness and we who sleep in peace. I am deeply thankful for that.

I would also like to make the same wish for a Happy Thanksgiving to old allies: the Brits, Australians, Poles, Japanese, and all those countries who have stepped up alongside us to take the fight against terror to the enemy. And also to new friends: the Afghans and Iraqis, and all those in countries less friendly but who work for liberty nontheless. May you all have a safe holiday season and count your blessing well.