Monday, February 27, 2006

Fighter Ace Robert L. Scott dead at 97

Robert L. Scott, WWII fighter ace and author, died today. He was 97. Scott wrote the immortal work “God Is My Co-Pilot” telling the tale of his adventures in the air. He was a member of the famous Flying Tigers, flying a P-40 Warhawk in the China/Burma theater of the war. He is credited with 22 kills and retired from active service as a Brigadier General.


"High Flight"

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.
[Link]

Godspeed, General Scott.